Sunday, November 2, 2008

What a Secret

How does one go through a pregnancy keeping it a secret? Don't people care enough to notice a swollen belly? Doesn't one think they may need to see a doctor? Is a person really that isolated? Does she not have any friends? Any adult that she can go to? I guess not when you are 17 and pregnant and scared ---you can hide these things...until homecoming...until the dress doesn't fit...until someone finally notices...but is it too late? One shows up in labor, is the baby OK?, when is it due?,will it hurt? All I can do is provide care and pray for the best. Encourage the mommy to stay in school, encourage her single father to still love her and not cast her out, encourage the boyfriend to stay in school yet support his girlfriend and new baby. Encourage the family to take notice. Encourage the family to pay attention, encourage someone to love the new baby and her mommy...but do I really make a difference in 12 short hours? Sure, I can take care of the pain and get them an epidural but does any of that really matter in the long run? Will she go back to school, will she have resources to provide for her baby? Will she and the boyfriend stay together? Will she get a car seat before she goes home? Will she have clothes, diapers, friends? Will she go to PROM? Will she go to college?
She did not deliver before I left work. I hope things are OK, I hope the baby is term, I hope there are no defects, I hope she finds hope...
And on another note - one of our 'special' patients delivered today...the baby has problems, the baby got transferred to the children's hospital but it was alive and doing better than many of us thought that he would. I do enjoy being at work when these patients come in and enjoy being able to see the patients that we have had conferences on...just helps to close the book on someone you've met and and gotten to know and I think it helps them to see a familiar face. Someone who knows their history so that they do not have to try to tell it all again. But sometimes I wonder why God does the things he does??? And all I can do is pray that the baby does OK.
And my last thought for the day - how come a Sunday is so crazy busy? - like 14-15 patients most of the day. It used to be the Sundays were nice days to work but now a days it just seems like anyother day of the week. But I finally have a day off tomorrow!!! My first whole day off in 7 days. So how do I plan to spend it?? Early voting and catching up on my homework. But I am sleeping in! And trying to put today behind me....

No comments: