Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Welcome Baby Natalie

One of the girls that I work with announced a few months back that she was pregnant...
"Right..." we all said.
"No really - I am" was her response. She even made the doctor repeat the test because she said it must have been someone else's test. So the test was repeated..sure enough - positive

You see - she had been told that she wasn't able to have a baby. She went about her life enjoying the boy that she did deliver years ago and the little boy she adopted two years ago. Never thinking she'd ever have another. Life was full. Life was busy. And she was happy.


Of course, we, her friends at work were super excited for her. Even more so, when we found out that she was going to have a little girl. A little girl to disrupt the family balance. Lots of pink and purple and dolls and girlie stuff. We watched her tummy grow - often commenting how amazing it was that she was actually having another baby - and a girl at that!!


She asked if I'd take care of her when she went in to labor. It is always so humbling to me when another labor and delivery nurse asks me to care for them. We have so many excellent nurses on our unit and I often wonder why someone would specifically ask for me. I feel somewhat inadequate. It is a little nerve racking too....what if something goes wrong? What if I can't get her IV in? What if I'm in a bad mood that day? What if, what if, what if?... but in reality it is an honor and of course I said yes. We talked, we planned, we hoped it would all work out so that I could be there for her and her husband.


She decided to get induced this coming Friday. And of course that was one day out of the month that I was not going to be available to do the delivery. I was feeling so guilty. Torn between a mother's duty to her own daughter and my nurses duty to my friend. I started praying she'd go in to labor on her own.


Yesterday, while I was working, I got a text from her. "We are coming in"
Yeah - "I'm here" I thought.
Boo - I am in charge and the placed was slammed.
I got another nurse to take over the charge duties for me (thanks Caroline!)
And I quickly got a room cleaned for my friend.


Sparing all of the details - she arrived...but did not deliver before the end of my shift. I was so bummed. I still am a bit sad that I wasn't able to actually be there for the delivery. But, I knew I could trust her to the next nurse. We texted back and forth after I finally went home. I couldn't sleep well...I kept wondering how things were going and wondering if she'd hold out for me to go back in the am. I texted her a bit before 2 in the morning since I was awake and thinking about her.


Funny - she was just delivering!!


Little baby Natalie was born at 1:35 this am. She weighs 7 pounds 9 oz and is 20 inches long. I got to hold her for a while today. She is soooo sweet and her parents are ever so happy and thankful for a healthy little girl.
Welcome to our world little Natalie!
May you grow in to the beautiful girl that God has made you to be. I can't wait to watch you grow up. I love you bunches(and your mommy too)!
Debbie

1 comment:

Husky Mom said...

this is such a sweet story! You are such an amazing nurse and anyone you take care of is so lucky! So glad you were able to be there for her! So happy for her!