A snippet of today...You know it is going to be a bad day when:
- you walk on to the unit and look at the board and you are starting with 15 patients on the board, 4 scheduled C/S's to be done and induction patients waiting in the waiting room plus more scheduled to come in
- there are no empty LDR's so the induction patients complain about their room (hey -they are lucky to even get put to bed!)
- You are assigned to a patient and while you haven't even finished your morning "huddle" the call light goes off and you hear, "I need help in here!!"
- You go to your room - only to be met with a patient on the bathroom floor and a nurse trying to review her - great start to the day!
- You get the patient awake...and with help get her on a guerney only to find out that her head is at the foot part and her feet are at the head part - UGH! Now you can't evelvate her head. Oh well - just cope, get her stabilized and moved to the postpartum unit
- You transfer the patient to find there is no IV pole - oh well - cope again and hang it on a hook in the closet.
- Come back to your own unit and there still are no beds but you need to find somewhere to put the next patient.
- You assume a patient and get her an epidural - she goes to complete and the doctor says, "I have more patients to see in the office. Can she wait?"
- Finish that delivery and finally get lunch at 3pm
Then it finally started to slow down as we got all of the patients delivered. I think we did 14 deliveries again today. We left the night shift with only 5 patients on the board and what do we hear from the night shift..." oh what a nice board - did you guys have a good day? :) ! NO! We were crazy busy again. My only hope - they don't call me tomorrow on my day off!!!!