Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!! 2011
Here we are in a new year - 2011. Sort of hard to believe isn't it?

I worked on New Year's Eve day - we were pretty busy as people were trying to get those last minute tax deductions in! One of the fun things about labor and delivery units is competing for the first baby of the new year. All of the hospitals in the county want that status. It just gives you some bragging rights and the families get to be in the newspaper. It is a nice little PR bit and friendly competition. We had the first last year - but alas, this year it went to the hospital with the ocean views. They had a baby at 0002 and we had our first one at 0113. Regardless - our family gets a gift from the hospital whether they are the first ones in the county or not - they are recognized as the first ones at our facility.
This year has some cool birth times...like 1-1-11 @ 0111 or 1-1-11 @ 1111 or 09-10-11 @ 1213 or 11-11-11 @ 1111. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I don't know why us L&D nurses get in to the numerology stuff...guess it is just fun to have memorable birth times!

I think I must be getting old though. After working my 12 1/2 hour shift I came home and celebrated with Jon and Lily. Buzz was still at work and both girls had gone to parties. I didn't feel like staying up late so we watched the ball drop in New York at 9pm (1200 east coast time), celebrated with our party hats and champagne (sparkling apple cider) then promptly went to bed. I think we were asleep by 10pm. Party Poopers, I know...
New Year's Day we slept in, then watched the Rose Parade on TV. Spent some time with my parents but really did nothing big to celebrate. It was a nice relaxing day.

Today we started the new year off by spending it with a special friend.
Ever have one of those friends that you have known for years and just 'click' with? Well, Lori is one of those friends to me. Our girls met each other in kindergarten and stayed friends all the way through high school, so naturally Lori and I were thrown together. Her daughter Chelsea spent many days and nights at my house as well as my daughter spent time with them. Luckily, we liked each other. We have been together through good times and tough times (like raising teenagers and divorces) and can just be real with each other. I am so glad that I have such a good friend. I want to be more available to my friends this year ~ this was a nice start. Lori came to church with us, then we went out to lunch. Lori recently found out that she is going to be a grandma...so she began practicing with Lily today. Lily LOVED her! I am looking forward to spending more time with Lori this year as well as my other special friends.
Aside from wanting to be a better friend, I did not make any New Year's resolutions. Did you?
May your year be blessed!
Debbie

No comments: