Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It has Started

School...the first night is behind me...
Class was good and I really like the people that are in my cohort. There are 18 of us who will be walking this journey together for the next couple of years. Most of the class have been practicing less than 5 years...some less then 2. I think there are 3 or 4 of us who have more than 15 years of experience so it is an interesting mix of experience.
There are people that work the ER, another L&D nurse, one mother-baby nurse, a few telemetry nurses, one ICU nurse, one rehab nurse, one outpatient radiology, two oncology nurses, and a couple of med-surg nurses. I'm sure the conversations will be quite interesting once we start to talk about our practices.
So, I like the people, I like the school, I like the actual program set up, I am excited about doing research and learning new things...but as the instructor was going over the assignments for this first class I had this overwhelming feeling of , "Oh, I'm not so sure I can do this". I turned to me classmate and said, "I sort of feel like maybe I should pull out now before we even get going - this homework is seeming pretty overwhelming". She laughed and said, "Funny, I was thinking the same thing!" We agreed to stick it out together for now. Everyone keeps reassuring me that it will be ok...I sure hope that they are right!
I am glad that I chose to take tomorrow off for I didn't get home from class until about 10:30 and it has taken me a little time to process through things. Tomorrow I plan on hitting the books.
So if I seem a little distracted lately you will know why ~ I really want to succeed at this and I know it is going to take a lot of focus and hard work.
Debbie

1 comment:

AtYourCervix said...

You'll do fine! It's normal to feel overwhelmed at the beginning of each term. The feeling of "oh my, how am I ever going to get through all of this, and do it all in 12 weeks??"

You can do it! One bite at a time.