Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Call the Midwife

Have you seen this new show??

Let me start by saying that I normally do not watch much TV.  I don't have the time, nor do I like to sit around aimlessly watching TV.  I'd much rather read a good book.  And of course right now I always have homework to do.  But even, when I don't have homework...I just am not a TV watcher.  There are so many other things that take priority in my life than watching TV.

With that said...I will tell you that I love the new show, "Call the Midwife".  I actually try to be home on Sunday evenings so that I can watch it.  And if I miss a show I watch later on line at PBS.org

It is on PBS, Sunday nights at 8pm.  Being on PBS there are no commercials!   
The show takes place in the 1950's in London's east side.  It isn't just about birthing though there are many birth scenes in the show.  Dear hubby wonders why I watch something that I do everyday...he is like, "don't you get tired of that?" But there are other nursing stories within the show - such as heart attacks, diabetic ulcers, etc.  The nurses do home visits and they get to those homes on their bicycles.

It is so realistic and shows how the nurses actually cared for the people within their community.  They developed relationships with them, laughed with them, cried with them and cared for them with all that they had.  It is heart warming yet also sad as there are times that the patients do not survive.  Beyond the nursing stories, the show chronicles the nurses persona lives and loves.

If you haven't had a chance to see the show - you should make it a point to watch it!  I love it so much that I even bought the book Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth.  You could say that I am mildly obsessed with this show...today I watched two of the episodes that I had missed.

You can learn more about the show here.
It is one of the best shows out there right now~
For someone that doesn't watch TV...that is a pretty big compliment!
Debbie

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Yes, it's a wonderful show and I haven't missed an episode yet. Thanks for posting this clip. I love the scene where the old matronly nun fixed the date between Chummy and the cop for the movies Friday evening. What a heart-warming offering for PBS to give us.

amoryg said...

Thank you! I'm always looking for great L&D shows. I'll have to DVR it.