Thursday, January 24, 2013

Need a Day Off

Whew - this has been a crazy week...I knew going in to it that it was going to be a tough one.  But, I didn't expect the baby factory to be exploding!!

I worked Monday and Tuesday...I don't think that I sat down for more than 5 minutes at a time...there were just so many babies!

Wednesday I attended the Orange Co. Women's and Children's Palliative Care Conference at UCI medical center.  It was a good day of learning and networking with other professionals in the area who want to care for sick and often dying infants.  I found that so many of the things we already do...we even talked about holding our own conference...
For some reason, I come home more tired after sitting all day in an auditorium than I do when running around the unit for 12 hours.  I wonder why that is?

I worked again today ~ Still busy... and I was so frustrated this morning that I wasn't able to assist a baby out vaginally...we tried for something like 3 hours, only to have the mommy end up in the c/section room.  I felt like such a failure and was so frustrated that things just weren't happening despite my best and most creative interventions.  Once I saw the baby though...and realized that she was not presenting in the normal fashion, I felt a bit better.  Babies are supposed to face the mom's back side - not face upwards...and this one just didn't fit.  Thankfully mom and baby were healthy and the parents were just glad to finally be holding their infant.
The rest of the day just continued to fall apart...with lots of patients and frustrating moments...

So, I am home tonight ~ anxious to rest and sleep in tomorrow morning.  I need a break! Next week is looking to be just as busy so I will take the day and catch up.  Sometimes I wonder how I ever fit school and homework in to the midst of this craziness!!
Tired me~
Debbie

No comments: