Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Milwaukee

After a long day of travel I have arrived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I am here to attend the ICEA / LAMAZE 50th Anniversary Megaconference ~ United for the Future of Birth. It is being held at the Midwest Airlines Convention Center which I happen to think is a really cool looking convention center.

I am staying at the Hyatt which is connected to the convention center so it will be easy to get back and forth.

I am here to present our perinatal hospice or comfort care program. It is a program that we are quite proud of at St Joseph Hospital. It is an innovative program that provides for the needs of families that are expecting a baby with known defects. A program where we attempt to take care of the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and their families.I will be doing two poster presentations. I am looking forward to meeting new people and sharing my knowledge of how to best help these patients. Who would have ever thought that I would be considered an "expert" on something??

It was a little different traveling alone. Normally when I attend a conference, the social worker that I work with travels with me. I haven't ever gone on vacations or anything like that by myself. Now granted - I grew up flying since my father worked for the airlines, so I am not afraid to fly but I am not used to just hanging out alone. I have decided that either I have put on some weight or airline seats just aren't as big as they used to be! Seems we were sitting awfully close to each other on the flights....so I decided to use the opportunity to meet the people sitting by me. This one person I met repairs the machines that make labels for all of the products we buy. Never ever thought of how our products get labeled. Then I also spoke for a while with a quite spoken theologian from Africa who teaches not only Bible classes to the people of Africa but also needed classes on nutrition, finances, HIV, etc. We exchanged business cards...never know...maybe I'll go to Africa one day.

After I checked in to the hotel I went across the street and had some yummy Italian food at The Calderone Club. And no it wasn't raining ~ I borrowed the photo off the internet.
After dinner, I unpacked and have just been relaxing the rest of the evening. It is weird to be in control of the TV tuner. I can watch what ever I want to. And it is strangely quiet. But not to worry - I have homework to do and brought a couple of good books to keep me occupied on any down time that I might have.
Debbie


1 comment:

The Cutest Blog on the Block said...

Hi Debbie! Adorable blog! We're following you now!