Sunday, September 9, 2012

Certified Nurses Changing Lives - Documentary

Certified nurse??  Take another exam after I already have passed boards? Why would I want to do that?
Because it is best for patients.
It shows that the nurses caring for you are as up to date as possible and meet certain basic requirements.
Yes, I am certified.
In fact I have two certifications - one for Inpatient Obstetric Care and an added qualification in fetal monitoring.
Watch the video below to get an idea for what a certified nurse is...


An educational documentary demonstrating real-life ways NCC certified nurses in the obstetric, gynecologic and neonatal nursing specialties use their achievement of certification to positively affect patient care.



Debbie

4 comments:

amoryg said...

Yay!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! So happy for you!

cows315 said...

Congrats on your Certifications!

My question to you- I'm in the process of trying to study for my Inpatient OB exam. What did you find helped you study the best?

babyrndeb said...

Rachel,
I actually didn't study very much for either exam....I sort of felt that it was the speciality area that I worked in and if I didn't know my stuff then I didn't deserve to pass.
Now granted, I work in a facility that does almost 500 deliveries a month, plus we are a magnet facility, we do yearly strip reviews, are required to take advanced fetal monitoring every other year and we keep pretty current with changes and so forth, so I felt fairly safe in taking the exams.
But if you work in a smaller facility you may need to brush up on things. Be aware of antenatal exams, drug use(illegal type), and medications that are used in labor and delivery.
You could probably use any NCLEX review book and the NCC site may have review information for you.
Good luck to you as you pursue certification...
Does your facility reimburse for taking the exam or offering a yearly bonus for having it?
Debbie

cows315 said...

Thanks for all the insight Debbie! I do work in a smaller hospital. Very small actually. We average between 30-40 deliveries a month. Anything remotely high risk prenatally gets transferred out early so I don't see many complications every day other than a Mag Sulfate patient here and there. I found a good book and workbook from the CCPR that I'm hoping will help.

My hospital does reimburse me if I pass! Hoping I do :)