Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sepsis

Mandatory sepsis class today.

Sepsis is a big buzz word in the medical community right now for it kills.
215,000 Americans die each year from sepsis.

Basically it is an overwhelming infection where your immune system goes haywire. It is a  toxic response to any infection.

The hospital where I work has developed a new order set and new algorithm to help us identify patients that may be at risk for this deadly disease process.
Hence the class today.  
I feel better able to identify these patients....and just a little scared at how serious a disease process it is.   I think we sometimes get a little complacent in our care and don't realize that something is wrong until it is too late.  This class was a good wake up call / or reminder if you will.

The following video is from the sepsis alliance web site.
Speaks to the problem in a concise manner.  Be sure to mute my music button below.

 
For more information you can go to the sepsis alliance web site.

 As much as I hate going in to work on my day off for a mandatory class, I am glad to be more educated on the subject.
And it fits right in with my pathophysiology class that I am currently taking.
Debbie

No comments: