Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Heart Month

February is National Heart Month.  Since Women and Babies are my passion this post will be directed towards them....

Did you know that:

  • Heart disease is the leading cause of death in American women
  • More than 42 million women live with some form of heart disease
  • More than 200,000 women die each year from heart attacks - five times as many women as breast cancer
  • More women than men die of heart disease each year
  • Women are less likely than men to receive appropriate treatment after a heart attack
  • Women comprise only 27% of participants in all heart-related research studies
  • Heart disease is preventable.
To find out more about women and heart disease go to this women's heart site.
Another good site is the National Institute of Health.
Learn all you can to live a heart healthy life style.


Now on to those babies...
Since I work in a high risk labor and delivery unit, I see my share of babies born with heart defects.  What a stressful way to start parenthood...with a baby that is sick from the get go.  These parents need a ton of support and their babies need specialized care.
Did you know that:
  • Congenital heart defects affect about 35,000 (1 out of every 125) babies each year in the United States.
  • Heart defects are the most common birth defects
  • Congenital heart defects originated in early pregnancy
  • Heart defects are the leading cause of birth defect related deaths.
  • Advances in technology and surgical treatment have led to dramatic increases in survival 

Two good sites to learn more about congenital heart disease are 


Little Jakob has a heart condition.
He sure is one sweet little boy
You can follow his story on  his website.

In honor of heart month I even updated my blog with a little heart banner :)
And, speaking of hearts...I really need to go study my EKG strips since I have an exam first thing in the morning at work.
Happy Heart Month to you! 
Debbie

1 comment:

Anneke Sergio said...

Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, fatigue, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

Reply